Date Posted: September 21, 2017
Job Type: Direct Hire
Job ID: 278427
Underwriter II – Commercial Insurance – Sacramento CA
We are looking for an analytical underwriter for our client in the Sacramento area. The Underwriter is responsible for sound decision making regarding accepting risk by applying underwriting principals through loss exposure analysis. The Underwriter works under the supervision of management within authority granted to maintain profitability and promote growth. The Underwriter also acts as an internal resource across all company product lines including; Professional Liability, Employment Practices Liability, Property, General Liability and Workers Compensation.
- Analyze new business applications, renewal questionnaires and endorsement requests to achieve profitable underwriting results. Determines acceptability of requests through loss exposure analysis
- Responsible for the continued growth of the book of business by promptly responding to questions, concerns and complaints from agents, policyholders and internal staff. Must be to work independently and discuss accounts with claims and risk management to obtain additional information about the insured to assess quality of book
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, agents, peers and other business contacts and company personnel. Responsible for providing excellent customer service through the daily management of the book, to ensure policy retention
- Compiles and interprets data for evaluation of assigned book of business. Responsible for researching, analyzing, reviewing and assisting Senior Underwriter(s) in presenting potential accounts for non-renewal to the Underwriting Committee.
- Responsible for communicating both verbally and through written correspondence to applicants, policyholders, claims, risk management, state agencies, brokerage staff and others concerning coverage, premium acceptability and policy language. Provides training and acts as a resource to less experienced underwriting staff
- Must be able to assist in the training of other departments/companies on an as needed basis through scheduled training sessions or informally through individual questions.
- Be responsive to policyholder’s questions or request for cover and help to research and develop information on the feasibility of their requests
- Under management direction, responsible for researching and analyzing underwriting topics related to state regulatory requirements, the dental practices act and the company policy form, in all states that the company writes coverage
- Responsible for attending related meetings and seminars and completing special projects as directed by management
- Preform other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED required
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred
- Minimum of 3 years underwriting experience in medical professional and/or commercial insurance; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- AU, CPCU, ARM, RPLU or other insurance related courses preferred
- Active P&C license required
- Demonstrated knowledge of insurance
- Must have the ability to read, analyze and interpret policy, procedures and regulations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of set variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or scheduled form
- Proficiency in using both objective and subjective thought processes in performing job duties Demonstrate proficiency in managing own workflow, prioritizing multiple works assignments and resolving questions and problems with management and peers
- Requires excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Must demonstrate diplomacy and tact while interacting with all levels within and outside of the organization.
- Must be able to perform job duties independently, exercising good judgment and Professionalism
- Requires computer skills, including the ability to operate Windows/Microsoft Office
- Take continuing education classes to keep agency licenses current
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive hourly compensation based on experience and plus medical benefits
Why Insurance Relief™?
As a businessperson in the insurance industry, it is an advantage to partner with a staffing expert and ally who understands your unique skills and needs. With vast experience in the insurance arena, Insurance Relief™ works with brokers, carriers and third party administrators to locate and place the best people for positions ranging from entry level to senior management. We invest the time to truly understand what you want to accomplish, and then do our best to find meaningful opportunities.
Insurance Relief™ provides ample opportunities for you to put your skills to work so if this position is not quite the fit for you please give us a call to hear about all of the other opportunities we have available.
Contact us today! All Inquiries are kept confidential.