Date Posted: November 13, 2017
Job Type: Direct Hire
Job ID: 251602
The Senior Underwriter is responsible for making sound decisions concerning risk suitability by applying underwriting principals through loss exposure analysis. Must display proper judgment in the selection, rating, control and servicing of the book of business. The Senior Underwriter works under general supervision of management within authority granted to maintain profitability and promote growth. This position serves as a subject matter expert and resource across all company commercial product lines including; Professional Liability, Employment Practices Liability, Property, General Liability and Workers Compensation.
Responsibilities & Key Objectives
- Analyze new business applications, renewal questionnaires and endorsement requests to achieve profitable underwriting results. Interact with state licensing boards in all states in which the company writes coverage.
- At renewal, take a lead role in reviewing and determining which accounts are potentially unprofitable and present those accounts to the company’s Underwriting Committee. Discuss accounts with claims and risk management to obtain additional information about the insured to assess quality of account and continued risk to the company.
- Responsible for the continued growth of the book of business by promptly responding to questions, concerns and complaints from agents, policyholders and internal staff.
- Promote growth through educating less experienced staff, agents and brokerages on coverage available through the company and market conditions.
- Provide service to the policyholders on a timely basis and be receptive to the policyholder's needs.
- Responsible for communicating both verbally and through written correspondence to applicants, policyholders, claims, risk management, state agencies, brokerage staff and others regarding coverage, premium acceptability and policy language.
- Provide training to other departments or companies as needed through scheduled training sessions or informally, through individual questions.
- Keep abreast of changes in the marketplace, changes in coverage and/or policy forms.
- Responsible for attending and actively participating in projects, seminars, claims and risk management functions as directed by management.
- Work booth at conventions to answer technical questions posed by brokers or policyholders.
- Act as sales representative function for those states that do not have a designated insurance broker, or when requested to do so. Develop a customer base and promote long-term relationships in those states. Follow-up on leads from the marketing department and take direct calls from prospective applicants. Responsible for contacting, assisting with application completion, processing quotations and explaining the insurance contracts/premium basis to prospective applicants on a timely basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Take continuing education classes to keep agency licenses current.
Required Education, Licenses & Experience
- Minimum 5 to 7 years’ experience in commercial insurance; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in a desk underwriting position is required as this is not a production or field position
- Bachelor's degree in related field preferred
- AU, CPCU, ARM, RPLU or related courses required
- Possession of a California Property & Casualty license or the ability to secure one within the first 4 months of employement is required
Required Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Must have the ability to read, analyze and interpret policy, procedures and regulations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of set variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or scheduled form. Proficiency in using both objective and subjective thought processes in performing job duties.
- Demonstrate proficiency in managing own workflow, prioritizing multiple works assignments and resolving questions and problems with management and peers.
- Requires excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Must demonstrate diplomacy and tact while interacting with all levels within and outside of the organization.
- Must be able to perform job duties independently, exercising good judgment and professionalism.
- Requires computer skills, including the ability to operate Windows/Microsoft Office.
- Occasional auto/air travel required.